Few other recipes encapsulate the essence of traditional Spanish cuisine like this ‘chorizo a la sidra’ from the northern region of Asturias. Extremely simple to cook and totally relying upon the quality of very few ingredients, this super tasty recipe is a total winner in any tapas menu.
Asturias is a stunning part of Spain which is mainly known for its impressive landscapes of great natural beauty. Here, the high mountains roll down to the sea to form a dramatic cliffed coastline which serves as a secret haven for plenty of coves and sand beaches of extraordinary charm.
But also, Asturias is well known because of its large extensions of orchards and its centenary expertise at making some of the world’s best apple cider. The same natural, bubble-free, cloudy and dry apple cider that works magnificently well with the local non-cured smoked chorizo to compose this masterpiece of Spanish traditional tapas.
Don’t get fooled by its simplicity and judge beforehand. Go ahead and make it. Then enjoy it. Then judge by yourself. And yes, I kinda know what you’ll be thinking after you finish this chorizo with cider… How is it possible that something that simple tastes so good?
• Trouble to find Spanish cider? Buy dry Spanish cider from Asturias here.
- 4 Cooking chorizo – as fresh, non-cured and smoked as possible.
- 1 bottle Dry apple cider – from Asturias. Alternatively a natural dry cider with no bubble. The cloudiest the variety the better. And remember, sweet cider is a no-go!
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig Fresh parsley
- Gently prick the chorizos with a fork. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and cook them for around 2 minutes until brown on the outside.
- Pour the cider into the saucepan. The chorizos should be all covered in cider. Stir the bay leaves in.
- Cook over a medium heat for around 20 minutes. The liquid should reduce until it starts turning syrupy.
- Take the chorizos out. Slice them and return them back to the pan to be cooked for an extra 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped fresh parsley (optional). Serve immediately.